Sunday, January 21, 2018

Rainy Weekend Birding

Saturday - Deas Island Regional Park

The weather was not good on this weekend, but I saw some clearing in the west and decided to try for a quick outing at Deas Island Regional Park in Delta. It's only a 10 - 15 minute drive from home so I could bail if the skies opened up again.

This park is adjacent to the Fraser River and has trails along the river on the north, and trails around Deas Slough on the south. This is the northern trail:



It was very quiet but I did find a Hairy Woodpecker making some noise to my right. The photo is poor as it was quite dark in the forest.


Hairy Woodpecker - Deas Island Regional Park, Delta BC - 2018 Bird # 45

This shot is a little clearer.


The most common bird here was the Bald Eagle. It seems like there weren't enough trees to go around.

Bald Eagle - Deas Island Regional Park, Delta BC

It just seems like a bird you don't want to mess with.


I left the park and returned home on River Road. At an intersection I noticed a Dove on a telephone wire. Traffic was light and I was able to get one photo.

Eurasian Collared-Dove - River Road, Delta BC - 2018 Bird # 46

Sunday - Bushtits in Backyard

We have a suet feeder hanging from a drainpipe just outside our sunroom. This can give us some good closeups of the birds that come to feed there. We had a flock of Bushtits come in and I tried to get a photo of them through our very dirty living room window. The results were not pretty.

Bushtit - Backyard, North Delta BC - 2018 Bird # 47.

Here's a similar shot taken a few years ago when the windows were clean. It should be noted that our living room window is 30+ feet about the ground, which is quite uneven. We need to get professionals in to clean it.


I'm sure I'll get some better photos of these little guys sometime in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment