Saturday, February 3, 2018

Point Roberts Weekend

The weather was poor on this weekend so birding was limited. I made two trips to Point Roberts on the Saturday and Sunday for gas (Subaru-Sat, Honda-Sun). I visited Lighthouse Marine Park on each day.

I've seen quite a few Black Turnstones this year, and these were the first birds I saw on the Saturday. It's common to see them in groups like this.


Black Turnstone - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

This shot of a single bird was taken on the Sunday morning.



Back to Saturday, here's a decent close up of a Common Goldeneye male.


Common Goldeneye - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Nearby were a pair of Harlequin Ducks, the colourful male and the mostly black female.

Harlequin Ducks - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I had my scope with me and was scanning farther offshore for Alcids like Murres and Auklets. But what I found instead was a small flock of Brant. These are ocean going Geese that are rarely seen close to shore. I zoomed the Nikon out as far as possible and was able to take a few poor shots for a record of seeing them.

Although the photo is poor, it is possible to see the dark head and the white neck ring. The overall shape also indicates a goose.

Brant - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - 2018 Bird #55

Somewhat closer to shore was another rare-to-see species, a Long-tailed Duck. The picture quality is better but still not too sharp. The mix of white and black indicates a male in Basic plumage.

Long-tailed Duck - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA
2018 Bird # 56

On the Sunday I photographed my first Pelagic Cormorant of the year. The photo is not great, but it does show the thin dark bill and the slender overall shape.

Pelagic Cormorant - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - 2018 Bird # 57

My last shot of this dreary weekend was taken at home in the backyard.

Dark-eyed Junco - Backyard, North Delta BC

No comments:

Post a Comment