Saturday, March 17, 2018

Saturday Afternoon at Brunswick Point

Brunswick Point is located at the west end of River Road in Ladner. just after parking area are a bunch of old pilings in the Fraser River that provide roosts for Cormorants and shelter for ducks.



Double-crested Cormorant - Brunswick Point, Delta BC


Bufflehead - Brunswick Point, Delta BC

Some of the ducks prefer the open water.


Lesser Scaup - Brunswick Point, Delta BC

There is a long, wide path atop the dike that protects the farmlands from the Fraser River. If you walk all the way to the end you'd end up at the foot of the Tsawwassen Ferry jetty.



Overhead there are numerous raptors looking for a meal.

Bald Eagle (Imm) - Brunswick Point, Delta BC

Here's an adult in all it's glory.


The Eagles are scavengers who'll use their size to steal prey from others. The Northern Harrier prefers to catch its own food.

Northern Harrier - Brunswick Point, Delta BC

Northern Harrier - Brunswick Point, Delta BC

Another hunter in the area is the Great Blue Heron.

Great Blue Heron - Brunswick Point, Delta BC

As I made my way back I heard my first Marsh Wren of the year. It was in a stand of cat tails and I struggled to find it. When I did I snapped off five quick shots with my Canon, the best one is shown below.

Marsh Wren - Brunswick Point, Delta BC 
2018 Bird # 85

The last photo may be the cutest, a family of Bufflehead Ducks. The three around the male and the one trailing are offspring. The female in front of the trailer is similar to the young ones, but has a much larger beak.

Bufflehead Wren - Brunswick Point, Delta BC

This was a fitting last shot for the day, I'd be out birding again on Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment