Sunday, March 4, 2018

Quiet Sunday Outing

This is a very short post from a Sunday where not much happened.

Point Roberts

I made my gas trip to Point Roberts, but Lighthouse Marine Park was unusually quiet. I did take two photos worthy of posting (barely).

Fist was this Common Loon which appears to be part way into breeding plumage on the back.

Common Loon - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

This gull sitting comfortably on a rock captured my attention.

Glaucous-winged Gull - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Boundary Bay

My next stop was Boundary Bay where I drove out to the end of 96 St and on to the dike to see what was there. I noticed a bird sitting on a log quite far away and identified it as a Peregrine Falcon. 

This is where the Nikon Coolpix shines as I was able to zoom fully out and take a couple of acceptable photos. The falcon was about 200 meters away.


Peregrine Falcon - 96 St. Boundary Bay, Delta BC - 2018 Bird # 84

I pulled a little closer, enough so that it knew it was being watched. Not a creature you want to anger.


Burns Bog

For my last stop I decided to see what was going on in Burns Bog, close to home. It's still early spring and the bog felt more open than usual.




The only birds of note were a pair of Robins that suddenly appeared. It seemed like they were fighting, perhaps over territory or a potential mate. The camera didn't catch the action very well.

American Robins - Burns Bog, Delta BC

This ended my birding for the day and weekend. i'd have better luck in seven days.

No comments:

Post a Comment