Monday, May 21, 2018

Colony Farms in Coquitlam - Part 2 on Monday

On the holiday Monday I decided to return to Colony Park. My primary reason was to find a Lazuli Bunting. Also, I hadn't visited the east side of the park the previous day and that was where both Eastern and Western Kingbirds had been reported.

This is the view looking north towards the mountains from the parking area by the community gardens.



Once again, the first bird I saw and heard was a male Black-headed Grosbeak. He was singing to declare his territory and attract a mate.


Black-headed Grosbeak - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

Another bird was singing nearby, a Song Sparrow with a nice background.

Song Sparrow - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

A small hawk flew by and I snapped off one quick picture. I thought it was either a Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawk. I met up with another birder later and he had seen it too and had seen the tail pattern for a Cooper's Hawk.

Cooper's Hawk (probable) - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

My next sighting was unambiguous, a Wood Duck in one of the water filled ditches along the trail.

Wood Duck - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

Also nearby were a pair of Barn Swallows, taking a rest from hunting.

Barn Swallows - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

I heard a Common Yellowthroat singing nearby and got one clear shot of it with the Canon. The black face on this bird plays havoc with the camera's exposure settings.

Common Yellowthroat - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

I had reached the Duck pond by this time and was hoping there might be a Cinnamon Teal there. I got a great shot of one at this location last year. There was no Teal, but there was an active Pied-billed Grebe nearby. 

Pied-billed Grebe - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC


Luckily for the Grebe, and unluckily for a poor frog, it had captured lunch.


There are always Red-winged Blackbirds around the Duck Pond.

Red-winged Blackbird - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

Another spring visitor was also around the pond:

Cedar Waxwing - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

I heard and got a nice shot of a singing Marsh Wren.

Marsh Wren - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

I made my way back to the trail along the Coquitlam River. This was the area where the Kingbirds had been seen. Just after arriving, an Eastern Kingbird flew in. The Kingbirds are large members of the Flycatcher family. They are more commonly seen in the Okanagan and further east, but Colony farm gets a few of each species most years.

Eastern Kingbird - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC - 2018 Bird #148

Also in the area was the more colourful Western Kingbird. It was father away and didn't stay in one place for long. It was difficult to get a good shot.

 
Western Kingbird - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC - 2018 Bird #149

As reported in the previous day's blog, there were a number of male Rufous Hummingbirds in the park. They seem to like sitting in a conspicuous spot.

Rufous Hummingbird - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

The Eastern Kingbird was hanging around, whereas the Western had disappeared. Here it is coming in for a landing on a low branch.

Eastern Kingbird Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

I made my way back to the community gardens and ran into a birder who was going out to look for the Kingbirds. I asked him about the Lazuli Bunting and he directed us to an area by the parking lot.

We made our way there and the bird showed up in 5 - 10 minutes. I saw it with my binoculars, but couldn't locate it with the camera. The other birder got some good shots and left. The bird appeared again 15 minutes later and once again I could not get a shot.

In the meantime a Willow Flycatcher was singing nearby and it was much easier to see.

Willow Flycatcher Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC - 2018 Bird #150

The Bunting came back again and this time I was able to locate it and get some shots. Since I'd seen it earlier, it was bird #149 for 2018.

Lazuli Bunting Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC - 2018 Bird #149

Lazuli Bunting - Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

This was a nice bird to end my weekend, I added seven new species for 2018 over the Sunday and Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment