Sunday, May 13, 2018

Point Roberts winding down - Reifel nesting time

This Sunday visit provided a contrast between the two locations in the title. Point Roberts bird diversity is dwindling as summer approaches while Reifel Bird Sanctuary is in mating season.

I'm going to Point Roberts now mainly for cheap gas, but I still check out Lighthouse Marine Park. There's still a few Harlequin Ducks around, they should be moving inland for nesting soon.


Harlequin Ducks - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

When I took this photo I didn't see the second bird in the background, this was one of five shots taken in a second or two.

Pelagic Cormorants - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I crossed back to Canada and headed for Ladner and Reifel Bird Sanctuary. On my way I saw this House Finch and was able to stop and take a couple of photos and a movie out my window. Fortunately, the farm roads in Ladner are not that busy.

House Finch - Ladner BC


I arrived at Reifel early enough to dodge the crowds and walked the outside perimeter of the park hoping to see some shorebirds. There were the usual Long-billed Dowitchers, but they were too far away for a good photo. There were Marsh Wrens calling from the cattails, but they were hard to spot.


I finally got lucky and had one pop up nearby.

Marsh Wren - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

Here's a short movie of one singing just as it slips back into the reeds.


I started heading back and passed by "Crane Island". This is a small island in one of the ponds where the breeding pair of Sandhill Cranes attempt to produce offspring each year. There have been more failures than successes, but they persevere. 

This is likely the female on an egg, with the goose just waiting for a moment of carelessness. 

Canada Goose and Sandhill Crane - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

Over on the shore another Crane is keeping an eye on matters. I assume it's the mate of the female.

Sandhill Crane - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

This wrapped up my weekend, I'd make a special outing to Boundary Bay on the Monday evening in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment