Wednesday, August 8, 2018

August 8 - Boundary Bay

I was very lazy this year (or busy) and missed much of the August shorebird migration. On  his Wednesday evening, I made the effort to go to Boundary Bay after dinner and was rewarded with a couple of species for my year list.

The only legal parking spot at Boundary Bay is the Airpark at 104 St. I dutifully parked there and headed west towards an area know as the pilings (for obvious reasons).



The two most common species at this time of year are the Western Sandpiper and the Black-bellied Plover. I'd seen both species in the spring, so no year birds so far.

Western Sandpiper - Boundary Bay, 104 St. Delta BC - August 2018

However. the Black-bellied Plovers were a first for 2018...

Black-bellied Plover - Boundary Bay, 104 St. Delta BC - August 2018 

The next bird I saw was a first for 2018, a Semipalmated Plover. These can be confused with Killdeer ( a more common Plover) but in this case I believe I saw both species.

Semipalmated Plover - Boundary Bay, 104 St. Delta BC - August 2018 - 2018 Species #190

Killdeer - Boundary Bay, 104 St. Delta BC - August 2018

Here's a close-up of a couple of Western Sandpipers.


This ended my evening. I had a little more luck with migrating shorebirds in September.


No comments:

Post a Comment