Sunday, November 11, 2018

November 11 - White Rock Pier and Backyard Birds

I had not planned to post my photos from this visit to the White Rock Pier as the birds were scarce on this day. But given the events on December 20 where the pier was severely damaged by a historic windstorm, I changed my mind.

I have a running joke with my golf buddies that after I visit a place, there is a chance that disaster will happen. This started in 1989 when we visited San Francisco about a month before the
big earthquake.

Here's a picture taken from the White Rock Pier in 2012:



Getting back to November 11, the only birds I saw were these Surf Scoters.


Surf Scoters - off White Rock Pier, White Rock BC

From the end of the pier someone pointed out a man and his dog out on the water on a paddle board. He thought it was animal cruelty, but the dog did not seem to mind being out there.



I also took this fuzzy photo of the passenger train to Seattle. We hear it as it goes through Burns Bog down below us.



Backyard Birds

Upon returning home, I decided to take advantage of the good light and try to capture some shots of birds in our yard and at the feeder. This junco was on a stair rail in plain sight.

Dark-eyed Junco - Backyard, North Delta BC

I took out the screen from one of our sunroom windows and leaned out to get these shots.

Dark-eyed Junco - Backyard, North Delta BC

We have a resident Downy Woodpecker (or maybe a pair) and we can see them every day of the year.

Downy Woodpecker - Backyard, North Delta BC

They seem to like the bird seed as much as the smaller finches and sparrows do.

                                 Downy Woodpecker - Backyard, North Delta BC

That was the end of the day, nice to get a couple of good shots at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment