Monday, September 3, 2018

September 3 - Boundary Bay

This is going to be a very short post to get me into September 2018. I'm writing this in late November, so there's some catching up to do.

This day was my first foray to Boundary Bay to hopefully see some fall migration shorebirds. It was quite successful, I added two new  2018 species.

The first bird seen was a Bank Swallow. It was pointed out by someone and I luckily got one shot. The band around the neck is the best field mark for this species. I'd seen one in Alberta in June, so it was the second time I'd seen this species in 2018.

Bank Swallow - Boundary Bay, Delta BC


My first new species this evening was a Baird's Sandpiper. It's quite a bit larger than the peeps that are commonly seen at this time of year.


Baird's Sandpiper - Boundary Bay, Delta BC - 2018 Bird # 192


There had been reports of a Buff-breasted Sandpiper at this location, always a rare treat for birders. I was lucky enough to see it and get a few good shots...

Buff-breasted Sandpiper - Boundary Bay, Delta BC
September 2018 - 2018 Bird #193

Buff-breasted Sandpiper - Boundary Bay, Delta BC - September 2018

This rare bird deserves a few more shots:

Buff-breasted Sandpiper - Boundary Bay, Delta BC

Here it is with  the Baird's Sandpiper...


Buff-breasted Sandpiper (top) and Baird's Sandpiper
September 2018


My lat bird of the evening was a more common American Coot...

American Coot - Boundary Bay, Delta BC


No comments:

Post a Comment